Monday, June 20, 2011

Migraine Monday

Well today has not been a good day for me.  I woke up this morning not being able to move my neck at all and had one of the worst migraines I have ever had.  I did not work out this morning because of how awful I was feeling.  This lack of workout today gave me a chance to think about some things.  Why do I want to lose weight? I have to make it perfectly clear that I do not have low self esteem, I do not want to do this to please others, I know my family would love me whatever I looked like, and I only want to lose weight to be healthier.
The start of my story happened one day when I was watching one of those "weight loss" shows.  There was a woman on the show that weighed the same as me and I found myself watching it and saying to myself "I don't look like that, I carry my weight different."  I realized while looking through photos that 300 lbs looks like 300 lbs.  I think all of us have a different perception of what we really look like.  You know the sayings "the camera adds ten pounds", there is something wrong with the dressing room mirrors, and there must be something wrong with that outfit.  When it comes down to it we never look the way we perceive ourselves to look.  My eyes see the skinny person buried inside of the fat me.  I don't want to be a size two, I still want to enjoy life and enjoy food, and I just want to be able to take a walk with my kids without feeling out of breath before we even get one block.
No one is going to make me lose the weight but me.  I think that many of the "weight loss" shows we see on TV have given us a skewed perception of how fast we can lose weight.  Losing weight takes patience and being in for the long haul.  We will not get immediate rewards. Do not give up! Keep up the hard work!
What is your favorite healthy snack?

1 comment: